Sunday, May 28, 2023

Topless Greenhouse - Update #1


It has been a busy 2 weeks since my last blog on the topless greenhouse.  Since then, I planted another section of onions (where the beets were – gave up on the beets).  They have shot up quick!  The onions on the left were planted March 17th and the ones on the right were planted on May 16th.  (I had also planted more onions in between the tomatoes and bell pepper plants back in April.)



On May 19th, I noticed that the leaves on the tomato plants were getting eaten and I couldn’t figure out why.  I could see little black specks but I didn’t know what it was.  Then I found out that those little black specks on the leaves were from hornworms (it is their poop after eating).  I didn’t see any hornworms . . . until May 24th.  I saw one tobacco hornworm and picked him off and got rid of him.  Thought it would be a good idea just to check the rest of the tomato plants . . . good thing I did!  I ended up picking off 19 tobacco hornworms.  They are clever buggers as they blend in with the plant.  I keep checking every day but I haven't seen any since.  






I picked one small bell pepper – well, it actually fell off the plant.  It is only 2” but it did taste good.  (It had one little spot, but it didn't spoil the pepper.) 


And I got one last harvest of the romaine.



And the corn has tassels!









On May 27th, I planted 8 more marigold plants.  The ones that I had originally planted fizzled out (might be why I got the tobacco hornworms).  I also sprinkled cinnamon all around the greenhouse (ants and some other insects don’t like cinnamon and will leave the area).  I am trying not to use pesticides.  I think the marigolds and cinnamon are doing a pretty good job – I just have to be vigilant.

I also pulled out the rest of the romaine, red leaf lettuce and radishes – they are done for the season.  I only got one radish out of all the seeds I planted.  Not sure what went wrong there.

Found some green beans and cucumbers on the plants and the tomatoes are getting big.  Can’t wait to make myself a tomato and mayo sandwich!



Sunflowers, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and corn are all thru the roof of the greenhouse and getting taller every day.


Tomatoes (on the right side) and sunflowers (in the middle) and cucumbers (on the far left of the roof).

Green beans (in the front) and corn (in the middle).   

           
SUNFLOWERS!


I found something quite helpful at the Dollar Tree – clips!  They help the plants stay upright and don’t seem to cause any damage.








As of May 28th, here is what we have:

                                                                                            



Front View





                          



                                                        Back View


I am really hopeful that this just might work out!  Stay tuned . . .


2 comments:

  1. Why is there no top on the greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted a garden that the animals could not get into and it is too hot in Florida to have plants in a greenhouse during the hot months. By taking the roof off the greenhouse, it is just like having a regular garden with walls.

    ReplyDelete