Monday, June 17, 2024

 

As of today (June 17, 2024), here’s what happening in the garden.  The lettuce season is over – just too hot here in Florida.  But I did get quite a few nice salads of red leaf lettuce, kale and romaine for a couple of months.


The red leaf lettuce gave me the most pickings:

Kale – 4/9/24 thru 5/10/24 (last harvest) – 4 pickings
Romaine – 4/9/24 thru 5/22/24 (last harvest) – 7 pickings
Red Leaf – 4/9/24 thru 6/12/24 (last harvest) – 9 pickings

The corn grew tall but the ears didn’t do well.  Picked off the ears (5 small, deformed ears) and gave them to the chickens.  Harvest time:  5/22/24 – 6/1/24.  



Planted more seeds 6/2/24.  Here's how they look today.  I am hoping they will do better in this spot.









One of my potato baskets has failed but I did find 2 potatoes in the bottom (that was a surprise!).  I dumped out the one basket on 6/1/24 and that’s when I found the 2 little potatoes.  (1 was tiny and the other was very small)  




The other basket still has one shoot that is green.  I am hopeful that potatoes are still growing – especially since 2 small potatoes were growing in a basket where the plant had died.





The green beans are definitely over achievers! 


Green beans – started picking 5/11/24 – picked about 300 as of 6/17/24. 




This photo was taken 6/10/24 - I have now filled 7 containers of green beans (most of them are in the freezer) – in addition to the ones that I have already eaten.





The tomatoes are starting to get ripe quicker.  I have already enjoyed one tomato and mayo sandwich plus a few in a salad.  Started picking tomatoes on 6/4/24 – picked 82 (mostly cherry tomatoes) as of 6/17/24.




The tomatoes are hanging over the fence but so far no animal has taken any.



Bell Peppers – started picking on 6/8/24 – picked 5 peppers as of 6/17/24.  I cut up 4 of the peppers and put them in the freezer for now.

Onions:  started picking on 6/10/24 – picked 6 as of 6/16/24.  (they have already been eaten)

Leeks (from last year):  I pulled them all up 5/17/24.  I cut them up and put them in the freezer.



Cucumber – picked first one 6/14/24 (photo on the right)– made a salad of cucumber and tomatoes.  Yum!




Basil – picked 2 bunches 6/4/24 and 6/15/24 – made pesto both times.  The 2nd batch has been put in the freezer for use in the future.  Photo shows 1st batch made.






The eggplants are struggling.  They keep getting attacked by aphids.  I have been dusting with diatomaceous  earth to try and get rid of them.  I think I am making progress.  One of the eggplants seems to have rebounded and now has a flower.  There is hope!





The watermelon plants are doing great.  I have one large watermelon and several small ones.  I am using face masks as hammocks to hold up the watermelons so that they don't get too heavy for the vine.



There are still no pumpkins growing on the vines yet but there are some flowers starting to form.  I really hope we get some pumpkins as the chickens love eating them!


The greenhouse frame is doing a great job as a trellis for the pumpkins, watermelons, cucumbers and green beans.




There have been some interesting visitors to the garden – not all of them are welcome.  Top left is a Eastern Eyed Click beetle, top right is a pretty butterfly and the bottom photo is a hornworm.  This guy was as big and fat as my finger.  I found a few on the tomato plants and got rid of them.  I need to be diligent and keep checking every day and get rid of any that I find.

I have planted basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro, mint, lavender and marigolds all around the garden to help deter and repel insects.  While I am still getting "visitors" to the garden, I believe the herbs are helping to keep most of them at bay.  


The good news is that I have noticed bees in the garden, and they are a very welcome visitor.  Now, if it would just rain once in a while . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment