Tuesday, June 30, 2020




PART FOUR
THE PRICE BOOK



As you have been following along with Parts 1, 2 and 3, you have probably noticed that I use various tools to save money. The price book is another important tool. Since I can’t remember every price of every item in every store that I go to, I rely on my price book. Creating a price book does take time. But it will come in handy time and time again.

You can create your price list by simply doing your shopping! Make a list of all the items you need to buy. As you shop, write down the price next to the item on your list. Each time you shop and buy something that is not listed in your price book yet, write it down. When you are in a different store, bring your price book with you. Look for the items you normally buy and see what the price is. If you find a cheaper price at that store, make a note. Your price book can be a small notebook that fits in your purse. Or it can be part of a larger notebook that holds your coupons, etc. (see Part Two for photos of my shopping book)


If you forget to write down the purchases, just look at your receipt when you get home. Be sure to write down the package size, the price and where you bought it. I also write the date (as prices do change over time). This is a good exercise for children – it will help with their math skills – figuring out what the cost per ounce is, etc. Add to it each week and before long you will have a price book.

Now, I must warn you that store managers don’t like price books. They might think you are working for a competitor. Or they may not want you to know that their price is higher than the other stores. Be discreet when you get your prices. It is not illegal to have a price book but if you are discreet it could prevent embarrassing moments.

One day while I was shopping at the grocery store, the manager saw me and my notebook and he was curious as to what I was doing. At the time I was just looking through my coupons to see if I had one to match up with an item that was on sale. I willingly showed him my book – I pointed out my shopping list and the pages of coupons that I had. His curiosity was satisfied (before I got to the price book section) and he left. I shop at this grocery store every week and the manager sees me in his store on a regular basis. I am not trying to put him out of business. I am just trying to be a good steward.



Once you start comparing the prices of similar items in various stores, you may be surprised to find some stores are cheaper than you thought they would be. Walmart isn’t always cheaper than your local grocery store. So, a price book is very useful to make sure you are getting the best deal for your money.


I shop at 3 different stores each week. They are located near each other so I do not have to go out of my way (and use up the money I am trying to save on gas). If that isn’t an option for you, you may need to plan a shopping trip to maximize your mileage. You don’t want to drive 30 miles to save a $1 because it will cost you more in gas and you won’t be saving anything. Utilize the stores in your vicinity. If there is a store you want to go to that is out of the way, then try to plan your visit around a time when you may be going somewhere else and that store would be on the way. You don’t have to shop at every store. If you just want to utilize one store for groceries, you can still save money. It is a matter of learning how to maximize your savings at that store. Check with that store to see if they price match. If they do, then just shop at that store – be sure to have all your sales flyers with you as the stores won’t price match without them. Happy hunting!


Stay tuned for Part Five!



No comments:

Post a Comment